Important insurance updates

We regularly review the insurance you get through Cbus to make sure you and your family are protected when you need it most. From 2 October 2021, we’re making some important changes to the costs of death and total and permanent disablement cover. The income protection insurance available through Cbus is also changing. 

The cost of your insurance is changing

We work hard to keep the costs of your insurance cover as low as possible. From time to time your premiums can go up or down, and from 2 October 2021 the cost of death and total and permanent disablement (TPD) cover is changing.

Some members will see their costs increase, while others will see a decrease. If you’ve got insurance through Cbus, how much you’ll pay for your cover will depend on your age, occupation category and the type of cover you have – check the table below for details.

Why are costs changing?


The building and construction sector has the third highest fatality rate in Australia, so we know how important insurance is for our members and their families. That’s why we’re one of the few funds that covers members who have high risk jobs (like working at heights).


TPD claims from those in our highest risk categories have increased significantly in recent years. We’ve accepted around 19 out of every 20 TPD claims made, so this has made it more expensive to provide cover to these members.


As an Industry Super Fund, we only charge what it costs us to provide your cover, and we negotiate carefully with our insurer to make sure we’re getting you the best value cover we can.


So, while a small increase has been unavoidable for some members, we’ve been able to negotiate a decrease for others.

Weekly cost per unit of death and TPD cover


The table below shows how much one unit of cover will cost from 2 October 2021 based on your age and occupation category.

You can also see how much each unit has gone up or down by.


Age band Manual Electech

Non-manual and


  Death TPD Death TPD Death TPD


25-34 $1.43 $1.80
35-49 $1.53
50+ $1.76

We’ve improved income protection cover

Income protection cover through Cbus could protect you and your family if you need time off work because of an accident or illness. From 2 October 2021, we’re making some important improvements for Industry Super account holders.

More jobs will be covered

The following jobs will no longer be excluded from access to cover:

  • miner (not working with explosives)
  • air traffic controller
  • security guard, doormen, bouncer and person employed in crowd control (not armed)
  • professional entertainer such as actor, dancer, musician and stage performer.
Claim support extended

Claims will now be paid where your accident or illness is a result of:

  • self-inflicted harm or attempted suicide
  • participation in a criminal act
  • service in the armed forces of any country.
Transfer other cover to Cbus

Got cover elsewhere?

You’ll be able to apply to transfer this to your Cbus account.

That way it’s easier to manage and you can keep track of all your cover in the one place.

Coming soon: Income protection for blue collar workers

If you’re an Industry Super member in a blue collar job, you’ll be able to get income protection cover through Cbus from 2 October 2021.

Most members are likely to have income protection cover through their current employment arrangements, so it’s important to check with your employer, union or a Cbus coordinator. If you’ve checked and you don’t have cover, income protection through Cbus could protect you and your family if something happens and you can’t work.

Until now, income protection was only available to those in non-manual or professional occupations, and Sole Trader members. From 2 October 2021, if you’re an Industry Super member in a blue collar job (i.e. our manual or electech occupation category) you’ll also have access to great-value income protection cover through Cbus, that’s designed for the work you do.

Receive a monthly income for up to five years


If you’re eligible, income protection cover can give you a monthly income if you can’t work because of an accident or illness.

Payments can cover up to 85% of your salary (with up to 75% paid to you and 10% going into your super).


Get basic cover fast when you first join


  • Apply within six months of when you joined your first Cbus employer
  • Answer a few simple questions to access:
    • cover of up to 15 units ($1,500 per week)
    • a 30 or 90 day waiting period a benefit paid for up to two years.

Provide full health details for more cover


  • Apply anytime
  • Answer extra health questions to access:
    • cover of up to $30,000 a month or 85% of your salary (whichever is less)
    • a 30 or 90 day waiting period a benefit paid for up to two or five years.

Income protection benefits are paid monthly in arrears.

Weekly cost per unit of income protection cover


Check the table to see how much each unit of income protection cover will cost you a week, based on your age and the waiting period and benefit period you select.


Each unit gives you $100 cover a week.



Age 30-day waiting period 90-day waiting period
2-year payment period 5-year payment period 2-year payment period 5-year payment period




















































Apply for cover from 2 October 2021


Want to learn more? The Income protection insurance guide for Industry Super will be updated from 2 October 2021.

To apply for income protection cover, log into your account or complete the relevant form:

Before applying, make sure you’re not already covered through your employer or enterprise agreement. You can only claim on one policy at a time, so it’s not normally worth having two sets of cover. 

Check you’re covered


Not sure if you have insurance, or if you’ve got enough cover? Now’s a good time to review your insurance, to check it’s still right for you.

Here’s how:

1.       Check your cover – Most Cbus members get death and TPD cover automatically when they join. Log into your account to check your cover.

2.      Work out how much cover you need – If you’re not sure how much cover you need, try our Insurance needs calculator.

3.       Understand the costs – Remember, when you get insurance through Cbus the costs get paid out of your super, not your pocket.

4.       Update your cover – You can change your cover at any time, simply:

This information is about Cbus. It doesn’t take into account your specific needs, so you should look at your own financial position, objectives and requirements before making any financial decisions. Read the appropriate Cbus Product Disclosure Statement and relevant Insurance Handbook for your membership to decide whether Cbus is right for you. 

Insurance is issued under a group policy with our insurer, TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450, AFSL 237848