Welcome to Employer Online!
Your new online experience offers:
- Simplified business management – simpler to update business and contact details, communication preferences, user permissions and more
- Improved security - SMS verification will mean that accessing employer accounts is more secure
- Better reporting – reports and receipts are more easily available
- Receipts notifications - opt in to receive a notification whenever a receipt of payment contribution is available
Logging in for the first time?
Step 1: Set up Cbus Clearing House
If you’re using Employer Online for the first time, you will need to set up your Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)* before you can start making payments, even if you have used Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper) before.
Step 2: Enter employee details
Once you’ve set up your Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper), the next step will be to enter your employee details into the system. If you have previously used Cbus Clearing House or Employer SuperSite, you might find that your employees are already in the system.
Step 3: Make contributions
When you’re ready to make a contribution, you can do this either manually or by file upload.
Step 4: Generate receipts
You may occasionally need to generate a receipt as evidence of making super contributions.
Step 5: Contribution reports
You may want to download a contribution report.
Step 6: Submit a nil contribution
You may need to submit a nil contribution when you have no Cbus members to pay in a particular month.
*QuickSuper, Cbus’ Clearing House service is provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ACN 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 for Cbus employers.
If you have other questions about how to set up or access your account online, the below FAQs may also help
Logging into Employer Online
Who can access Employer Online?
Employer Online launched on 10 August 2020. You will need to be a Cbus employer to access Employer Online. If you’re not currently a Cbus employer, you can join online.
When you join Cbus, you will receive an email to activate your Employer Online account – it will include a link to create your username and password.
What if I haven't received an activation email from Cbus?
We were unable to issue an activation email if we did not have both your mobile number and email address. Please call us on 1300 361 784 to provide these details and we will issue the activation email.
If your activation link has expired (after 24 hours), you can click the 'Don’t know your username?' link on the Employer Online login page to start the activation process.
Why is my username or password not working?
If you have forgotten your username, click the 'Don’t know your username?' link on the Employer Online login page to retrieve your username.
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by clicking the 'Forgot password? link on the Employer Online login page.
If you are experiencing another problem logging in - for example, you don’t receive the 6-digit passcode to your mobile phone - please contact Cbus.
Why do I need to use a mobile number to log in to Employer Online?
The ATO has mandated that end users who access taxation or superannuation related information of other entities or individuals (for example, tax agents, employers) must have Multifactor Authentication (MFA) turned on. MFA is a security system that requires more than one method of authentication from different sources to verify the user's identity for a login or other transaction.
To align with these ATO obligations, Cbus has chosen the mobile number as the easiest for our Employers to use as a second source of authentication. This means that you will need to enter a code, which will be sent via an SMS message, to access Employer Online. Any mobile device can be used - it does not relate to the type of phone e.g. smartphone.
Can I still access Employer SuperSite?
Employer SuperSite shut down on 10 August 2020. You will be able to continue to administer your business’ super through Employer Online.
Employer Online offers a simpler and quicker way of administering your business’ super with the added benefits of the Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)*.
How do I access Employer Online?
To log into Employer Online, go to the Cbus website and select 'Employer login' from the top right of the screen. Or go straight to the login page.
You will need to enter the username and password you set up from the activation email followed by a 6-digit code which will be sent to your registered mobile phone number.
Will I need to provide a One Time Passcode (OTP) every time I log in?
Once you are set up as a user in Employer Online, you will need to enter your username and password into the login screen. You will then automatically receive a 6-digit code to your mobile for online access each time you log in.
You need to provide your mobile number as an ATO requirement for multi-factor authentication to access Employer Online and the Cbus Clearing House for superannuation payments.
Do I need a separate login for the Cbus Clearing House?
Can I use the username and password I previously had for the Employer SuperSite?
There are requirements that your Employer Online username and password must meet (in terms of length, format and characters). But as long as you meet these criteria, you can set any username or password.
Updating details through Employer Online
Where can I update my business details?
Where can I add a new business contact or user to the account?
Simply click the Employer tab at the top right of your account and select 'Contacts'. Then, click 'Add a contact'.
When you add a contact, they can be given access to Employer Online within this screen. If you have provided them with access, they will automatically receive an activation email with a link to create their separate username and password.
I need to add a new business to my existing Employer Online account. What do I need to do?
If you would like to add a new business to your existing Employer Online account, using the same username and password, simply click 'Add a new business' from the Popular Tasks menu.
The new business can have the same ABN as your existing business or a different ABN. If it has the same ABN, you will have to specify a different trading name.
If your new business has a separate ABN, and you would like your new business to have a separate Employer Online account with a different username and password, you will need to complete the Employer Join Online application with the new business details.
If I previously used Employer SuperSite, will all my details be in Employer Online?
If you previously used the Employer SuperSite, your business details have been moved to Employer Online and the Cbus Clearing House. The staff you nominated as contacts in the Employer SuperSite have been given equivalent access to Employer Online and sent an activation email.
- If you managed more than one business in Employer SuperSite, you should have received an activation email for each business, and will have to set up a separate username and password for each business.
- Cbus have attempted to move all your existing employees from Employer SuperSite to the Cbus Clearing House. However, due to technical constraints, this may not have been possible in all cases. If your employees were not able to be migrated to the Cbus Clearing House, it is easy to upload them via a bulk file or contribution file.
- Due to privacy reasons, employee Tax File Numbers (TFNs) could not be migrated, and will need to be added to the employee records in the Cbus Clearing House.
If I previously used Cbus Clearing House, will all my details be in Employer Online?
If you previously used the Cbus Clearing House, all your business details and employees have been migrated to Employer Online. Staff you nominated as contacts will retain their permissions in the Clearing House.
- If you managed multiple businesses in the Cbus Clearing House via the one login, they will be migrated together and you will continue to be able to access them via a single login to Employer Online.
- If you have businesses within the business hierarchy in the Cbus Clearing House that had not joined Cbus, these will still be visible within the Cbus Clearing House. However, within Employer Online you will only see businesses that have joined Cbus.
- If you managed multiple businesses separately in the Cbus Clearing House, have been migrated separately and should have received an activation email for each business.
- Due to privacy reasons, employee Tax File Numbers (TFNs) could not be migrated, and will have to be added to the employee records in the Cbus Clearing House.
When do I need to submit a nil contribution? How do I submit a nil contribution?
You will need to submit a nil contribution when you have no Cbus members to pay in a particular month. If you do not submit a nil contribution, you may receive a reminder from Cbus that a payment is outstanding.
To submit a nil contribution, click the Contributions tab at the top of your Employer Online home screen. Then scroll down until you find the 'Submit a nil contribution' section and click 'Nil contributions'.
How can I request a refund?
You can submit a request for a refund using our Contribution refund correction form (PDF). If you have any questions relating to contribution refunds and corrections, we’ve compiled a detailed list of FAQs (PDF) for you to refer to.
Do I need to speak with someone before requesting a refund?
You can contact us by calling 1300 361 784 or by submitting your enquiry through the link at the bottom of the Contributions page of Employer Online.
If you have an Employer Relationship Manager, you can get in touch with them via the details that are available at the bottom of your Employer Online home screen to discuss your refund request.
Can I use Employer Online or Cbus Clearing House to pay super to other funds?
Yes, you can. You will need to ensure that you enter your employee’s correct fund details if you are adding a new employee for the first time.
If you need to change the fund that you pay an existing employee’s super into, you will need to:
- Select 'Access Cbus Clearing House' under the popular tasks menu of your Employer Online home page.
- Click 'View employer' in the menu on on the left-hand side and select the Employees tab. Select the relevant employee.
- On the ‘Add fund membership’ page, you can either use the default fund by clicking on 'Use default fund' or use a non-default fund by entering the non-default fund details.
How do I make a contribution?
If it’s the first time you’re using our payment system, you will need to set up Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)* before you can make a contribution.
When you’re ready to make a contribution, you can do this either manually or through a file upload.
More detailed instructions can be found on our contributions help page.
How do I pay super into an SMSF?
If you have added a new employee, or are attempting to change the fund that you pay an employee’s super into, you might find that a fund such, as an SMSF, is not in the master fund list. In this case, you will need to add the fund as a client fund.
Follow these steps to add a client fund:
- Log into Employer Online and click 'Access Cbus Clearing House' from the Popular tasks menu on the Employer Online home screen. You will be taken to the Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper) screen.
- Click the 'Create fund' link on the QuickSuper main menu or click 'Create fund' on the ‘Search funds’ page.
- You will first be asked to enter the fund’s SPIN, USI or ABN. Follow the instructions on the page, and then click 'Next' to continue. QuickSuper will check if the fund already exists and display the options available based on the data you have entered.
- If the fund does not exist, you will be asked to confirm whether you wish to add a new fund. If you do choose to add a new fund, click 'Next' to continue.
- On the ‘Fund details’ page, you will need to complete all the mandatory fields. Note that the ‘Account information’ section of this page allows you to select the method to pay this particular fund. To be SuperStream compliant the payment method needs to be electronic. You will be required to enter bank account details and select a preference for remittance email, and provide an Electronic Service Address (ESA). The ESA is necessary to receive data messages associated with the contributions sent in a SuperStream compliant manner.
- Once all the mandatory fields have been completed, click 'Save'.
Can I use another payment system other than Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)?
What payment methods can I use to make contributions?
Contributions submitted through Cbus Clearing House must be paid via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
Can I pay using Direct Debit?
Direct Debit will not be available as a payment option through Cbus Clearing House after 4 September 2020. All employers paying via Direct Debit will need to transition Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) themselves, prior to that date. Otherwise, they will be automatically be transferred across to EFT from 4 September.
Payments made via EFT are deposited into members’ accounts more quickly compared to Direct Debit.
Can I pay by BPAY?
BPAY is not available through the Cbus Clearing House, however, you can easily pay contributions using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
Reports and receipts
Where can I find my contribution reports?
Click the Reporting tab at the top of your Employer Online home screen and select 'Reports'. Then, choose the type of contribution report you need and select the appropriate options from the drop-down menu provided.
Where can I find my receipts?
Where can I find old reports and receipts?
How can I opt in or opt out for receipt notifications?
If you would like to start or stop receiving notifications whenever a Cbus branded receipt is available to use as proof of payment, you can set your preference via Employer Online. Once you have logged in:
- Select your profile in the top right-hand corner and then click 'My details'.
- In the Preferences section, click 'Update preferences'.
- Select if you would like the notifications via email or SMS.
- Select 'Yes' to start receiving receipt notifications. Or, select 'No' if you do not wish to receive these.
- Click 'Update preferences' when you’re done to save your changes.
Can I create a Cbus membership on behalf of my employee?
If you have an employee that is not a Cbus member, and you would like to create a Cbus membership on their behalf, you will be able to add them as an employee through Employer Online.
You will need to allow three business days for a membership number to be generated - it will be available for you to view under 'Daily reports' in the Cbus Clearing House and will also be sent by SMS to your employee. You will then need to update your employee record with their new member number, via the Cbus Clearing House.
However, if you require a member number for your employee urgently, your employee will need to complete a membership application online to receive their member number straight away.
If I have created a Cbus membership for an employee, what do I have to do in the Cbus Clearing House once the member number has been generated?
You can also obtain the member number by your employee advising their member number from the SMS they received from Cbus.
You then need to update the employee record with the new member number through the Cbus Clearing House.
How can I add my employees to the Cbus Clearing House?
You can set up your employees in the Cbus Clearing House by:
- uploading individual employees, or
- uploading employee details in bulk, as shown in the below video, or
- uploading a contribution file which will automatically create the employees.
Why can’t I see all my employees in the Cbus Clearing House?
If you previously used one of Cbus’s payment platforms and now can't see all of your employees in the Cbus Clearing House, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- If you managed multiple businesses in ESS, you will have to access each of your businesses via separate login to Employer Online. Employees have been migrated with their respective businesses.
- Not all employee records could be migrated to Employer Online due to technical reasons. If your employees are not in the Cbus Clearing House, it is easy to upload them via an employee file or a contribution file.
Cbus Clearing House
How do I access Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)*?
You access Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)* through Employer Online. Simply click 'Access Cbus Clearing House' from the Popular tasks menu on the Employer Online home screen.
If you’re new to using the Cbus Clearing House, the Popular Tasks menu can help you navigate to pages where you can complete the most common tasks.
How do I set up my Cbus Clearing House (QuickSuper)* account?
If you are using the Cbus Clearing House for the first time, you will need to complete the setup before you can start paying your employees’ super. View our guide on how to set up the Cbus Clearing House. Or, you can watch our video below.
Do I need to authorise payments in the Cbus Clearing House?
You can choose whether contributions need to be approved by a different person within the Cbus Clearing House. The default is No Authorisation, but you can also select Single Authorisation or Dual Authorisation.
If you select No Authorisation, one person can enter and submit contributions.
If you select Single Authorisation, one person can enter the contribution but a different person must authorise it before it can be processed.
If you select Dual Authorisation, one person can enter the contribution but two different people will need to authorise the contribution before it can be processed.
Last updated: 15/09/2020
*QuickSuper, Cbus’ Clearing House service is provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ACN 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 for Cbus employers.
You should read the Employer Handbook, relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and other documentation to decide whether Cbus is right for you. Call 1300 361 784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit cbussuper.com.au for a copy.
Cbus Trustee: United Super Pty Ltd ABN 46 006 261 623 AFSL 233792 Cbus ABN 75 493 363 262