Industry insurance

Insurance cover is essential in providing financial protection and security to you and your family. 

We understand the risks of working in the building, construction and allied industries. It’s an unpleasant thought, but what would you do if something happened to you and you were no longer able to work because of serious illness or injury? How long could your family survive without a regular income if you passed away?

Cbus is proud to offer our members insurance options that can be tailored to meet the needs of people working in the building, construction and allied industries.

When you join Cbus Industry Super, most members qualify for our default level of Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover.

We also offer eligible members access to higher levels of cover appropriate to your circumstances and needs, as well as Income Protection cover.

The cost of insurance is paid direct from your super account, so you won't need to budget to make insurance payments provided you have enough money in your super account. You'll have peace of mind knowing you're covered. 

Read about our insurance strategy.

In 2020/2021 Cbus accepted
claims for our members and their families.
In 2020/2021 Cbus paid out
$258 million
in benefits to our members and their families.
High visibility jackets hanging on a railing

Death cover

If you die or are terminally ill, you or your beneficiaries will receive a payment, in addition to your super.

More on Death cover
Man using drop saw

TPD cover

If you’re permanently unable to work because of illness or injury, you may receive a lump sum insurance benefit into your super account.

More on TPD

Occupation categories

Cbus has four occupation categories, based on the duties you perform in your role. Each category has its own insurance scale that shows how much each unit of cover is worth.
Man showing dirty hands


You perform manual or physical work, and spend more than 20% of your working time outside an office environment. Manual cover is our default cover for members.

Woman sitting at a desk, using a computer


You perform work of a clerical administrative, managerial or professional nature, and don’t perform any manual (physical) work and you spend a minimum of 80% of your time in an office environment.

Man in high vis jacket standing by windows


You’re an electrical worker in a classification set out in schedule A of either the Electrical, Electronic & Communications Contracting Award 2020 or Electrical Power Industry Award 2020.

Man sitting at a desk working with architectural drawings


You perform work of a sedentary, professional nature, with an annual taxable income of more than $100,000 (which can be pro-rated for permanent part-time workers) and have a university qualification, or you’re a Senior or Executive Manager.

Income Protection cover for Industry Super

If you're an Industry super member, you can apply for income protection through super. This cover provides a monthly income if you can't work because of an accident or illness.

Many Cbus members already have Income Protection cover as part of their employment arrangements, so please check your terms and conditions of employment for any existing cover before applying through Cbus.

Other insurance cover

Insurance for Sole Traders

If you’re self-employed and operating as a sole trader or in an unincorporated partnership, you may be eligible for default Death and TPD cover when you join Cbus.

You’ll also be eligible for default Income Protection cover so if you’re temporarily unable to work because of an accident or illness, and you meet the requirements of the Cbus Insurance Policy, you’ll receive a regular income payment.

You can apply to change your cover any time after you join.

Insurance for Personal Super members

If you’re not receiving employer contributions, you can apply to become a Cbus Personal Super member. After you join you can apply for the insurance cover that gives you the level of financial protection you need.

Increase your insurance cover

To increase your insurance cover, log in to your member account, click on the ‘Insurance' tab across the top and then click the button ‘Go to insurance online’.

Alternatively, you can download and complete an application form and send it back to us.

If you have any questions or if you’d like us to send you the form, call us on 1300 361 784.

Further reading

Read more about insurance cover for Sole Trader and Personal Super members, and Income Protection cover for Industry Super members.

How do I nominate beneficiaries?

Beneficiaries are the people you elect to receive your super, and any insurance benefits, when you die.

Read more about nominating beneficiaries, or watch our videos explaining binding nominations.

Making a claim

Making a claim can be a daunting and emotional process. If you or your family needs to make a claim, we’re here to offer support and guidance. Read about our claims philosophy.

Call us on 1300 722 152 and we’ll provide a dedicated case manager to issue you with the relevant forms and answer your questions. They’ll help progress your claim as quickly as possible. 

Further reading

Read more about claiming an insurance payment to understand if you qualify and what your options are.

Insurance in Superannuation Voluntary Code of Practice

Cbus previously stated our intention to adopt the Insurance in Superannuation Voluntary Code of Practice (The Code), which was scheduled to come into effect on 1 January 2022.

Since the Code was first developed, most of its requirements have been overtaken by other superannuation legislative and regulatory reforms. The Code Owners announced on 1 July 2021 that they were replacing the Code with guidance notes for those parts not covered by legislation or regulation — including improving outcomes for vulnerable members and claims handling for members with life insurance held through super.

Cbus have always been supportive of the Code and we are pleased to say that we’ve already implemented most of the Code requirements to ensure a continued focus on the experience we provide our members. We will continue to review the Code Owners’ guidance papers as part of our commitment to improve our services and interactions with members.

Note: The Code Owners are the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA), the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees (AIST) and the Financial Services Council (FSC).

Choose your insurance cover to suit you

Based on your stage of life and financial needs, we can help you work out whether you should change your level of cover.

  • Here are some questions to consider:
  • Are you married or living with a partner?
  • If so, does your partner have insurance?
  • Do you have children or other dependants who rely on your financial support?
  • Do you have a mortgage or other debts?
  • Could you make ends meet if you couldn’t work?

Call Cbus Advice Services on 1300 361 784 (option 4). We can help you work out the cover that's right for you.

Change or cancel your insurance cover

You can cancel, decrease or apply for additional insurance cover anytime. The choice is yours.

Change or cancel

Insurance is issued under a group policy with our insurer TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450 AFSL 237848.

The information in this insurance section provides a brief overview of the insurance types available through Cbus. It does not include all eligibility conditions for acceptance or payment of insurance benefits.
For more information, we recommend you read the appropriate Product Disclosure Statement, Target Market Determination and the relevant Insurance Handbook for your membership.


Join Cbus

Together, let’s build a better future