More about insurance

Find out more about nominating beneficiaries on your super.

Nominating beneficiaries

If you’re a Cbus member and you die, your dependants can claim:

  • the total amount in your account, and
  • any insurance benefit you had at the date of your death.


Your dependants include:

  • your spouse (including de facto and same-sex partners)
  • children (including step or adopted children or children of same-sex couples)
  • other people who are financially dependent on you (wholly or partially) or were in an interdependency relationship with you.


An interdependency relationship means two people (whether or not related by family) who have:

  • a close personal relationship, and
  • live together, and
  • one or each of them provides the other with financial support, and
  • one or each of them provides the other with domestic support and personal care.

If two people (whether or not related by family) have a close personal relationship, but don’t meet the other requirements above because either, or both, of them suffer from a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability, they can be considered to have an interdependency relationship.

People who share accommodation for convenience, such as flat-mates, don’t qualify. 

Types of nomination

There are two ways you can nominate who will receive your super, and any insurance benefits, in the event of your death.

1. Non-binding nomination

You may have made a non-binding nomination when you first joined Cbus.

A non-binding nomination means:

  • your benefit will be paid to either your dependant/s or your legal personal representative, and
  • we’ll make the final decision. While the decision will be made under Cbus’ Trust Deed, people you’ve chosen will be considered.

To update your non-binding nomination:

2. Binding nomination

A binding nomination means you can elect who you want your super and insurance to go to if you die, as long as:

  • you choose an eligible person to receive your benefit (in accordance with Cbus’ Trust Deed and relevant legislation);
  • the eligible person is a dependent or legal personal representative; and
  • you’ve made your nomination in the last three years and continue to renew it every 3 years.

You can make a binding nomination by completing a Binding death benefit nomination form (PDF) or call us for further information.

We're here to help

Whatever your question, we're ready to help.