Short term fluctuations in the value of your super can be expected from time to time as markets move up and down.
Share market movements and your super
- While share markets may experience ups and downs over the short-term, it is important to remember that superannuation is a long-term investment.
- Cbus’ diversified investment options are designed with long-term returns in mind. They invest across a range of asset types to help reduce the impact of short-term weakness in share markets.
- Over the past 36 years that Cbus has been managing member's super, investment markets have had a number of corrections, some bigger than others. As these corrections are usually short-lived, Cbus remains focused on continuing to deliver strong long term returns for our members.
Since inception in 1984 to 30 June 2020.
Over the past 36 years, the Growth (Cbus MySuper) option has returned 8.98% on average each year with 33 of the 36 years being positive.
This example is for illustration purposes only. Balances have been calculated using financial year returns compounding annually. Returns are based on the crediting rate, which is the return minus investment fees, taxes and until 31 January 2020, the percentage-based administration fee. Exludes fees and costs that are deducted directly from members' accounts. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
This example is for illustration purposes only. Balances have been calculated using financial year returns compounding annually. Returns are based on the crediting rate, which is the return minus investment fees, taxes and until 31 January 2020, the percentage-based administration fee. Excludes fees and costs that are deducted directly from members' accounts. Past performance isn't a reliable indicator of future performance.
Cbus' diversified investment strategy aims to reduce the impact that one asset class such as shares can have on your super.
- For asset classes like Australian and international shares, we expect periods of negative returns from time to time. However, markets often recover quite strongly after these periods of volatility. Our investment decisions are not based on short-term considerations and they generally reflect the medium to long term outlook for asset classes. This has been a key driver of Cbus’ strong long-term returns since inception.
- The Growth (Cbus MySuper) option is well diversified across a range of asset classes including shares, property, infrastructure, fixed interest and cash.
- With around half of its assets invested in Australian and international shares, the Growth (Cbus MySuper) option’s performance will not see the same level of impact from day-to-day share market performance because other asset classes can contribute positively to overall performance of the option.
Should you do anything?
If you are worried about what's happening in Australian and international share markets and thinking of changing your investment option, you should consider the following:
- What is your investment timeframe and what could be the future impact of changing investment options, particularly in response to short-term market ups and downs?
- Changing to lower risk investment options or making frequent switches can, over the longer term, leave you with a lower retirement benefit.
- In addition to missing out on future growth through investment earnings, there is the risk of not benefiting from an increase in investment markets after they have fallen - this is known as a ‘rebound’ when the investment or asset value is recovering and can happen quite quickly.
- If you would like to read more about how changing investment options during volatile times can impact your super over the long term, refer to the John and Rick case study in Cbus’ investment handbook (PDF).
- To understand more about share market volatility and how Cbus invests when markets are volatile you can watch our video, Explaining share market volatility.
Still not sure?
If you still have concerns and are considering switching investment options, further help is available through the Cbus Advice Services on 1300 361 784.
This information is about Cbus. It doesn’t take into account your specific needs, so you should look at your own financial position, objectives and requirements before making any financial decisions.
Read the relevant Cbus Product Disclosure Statement to decide whether Cbus is right for you.
Cbus’ Trustee: United Super Pty Ltd ABN 46 006 261 623 AFSL 233792 Cbus ABN 75 493 363 262